Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If y = 3, then 6y = 63 ... or is it?

Calvin & Hobbes is copyright
Bill Watterson and UPS


Here is a little worksheet I made for students to explore common algebra misconceptions. I'm planning to use it as part of a small-group activity, as a way to elicit discussion about algebra concepts.





https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVkChxwrC4DSUl3OGV3Q210S0U/view?usp=sharing

Can you see why someone might think (Calvin in the last panel) that

n = 28

even though they have been given no value for ?

I sourced the algebra misconceptions from

MacGregor, M., & Stacey, K. (1993). What is x? The Australian Mathematics Teacher, 49(4), 28-30.

and Calvin just forced his way onto the page (apologies to Bill Watterson!).


3 comments:

  1. could you explain why Calvin though n + n = 28?

    ReplyDelete
  2. N is the 14th letter of the alphabet so 14 + 14 = 28. This didn't take me for months to solve. I just saw this for the first time and this looks obvious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to assume you are asserting superiority, so I will ask: what is your point in saying, "This didn't take me for months to solve. I just saw this for the first time and this looks obvious to me"?

      Delete