A new focus for me : providing an environment where my students can experience what mathematicians do - working mathematically.
One way of viewing Working Mathematically is to use the lens of the four proficiencies described in the new Australian Curriculum for Mathematics K-10: understanding, fluency, problem solving and reasoning. Another is to consider what and how mathematicians do their work.
Over the next few months, I hope to:
- Consider the elements of the proficiencies,
- Explore ideas for rebalancing my classroom practice,
- Consider the impact on student motivation and engagement with mathematics,
- Explore the mysterious fifth proficiency which was not included in the new Australian Curriculum,
- Consider how Working Mathematically is different to, and similar to, Working Scientifically