Friday, January 21, 2011

So what happens in the first week of maths class?

With the new school year in Australia rapidly approaching, and for me, my first year as a teacher, I've been considering just what we need to do in the first week. Every new teacher is told it's crucial to get things right, at the beginning - there is no second chance. Assembling ideas from my training and, most importantly, from many experienced teacher friends, I've put together a list of what I believe are 27 (!) distinct elements I need to cover with my students. You may be surprised just how few of these elements relate to actually learning maths.



https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVkChxwrC4DLWZKdlpYVWt0Vm8/view?usp=sharing

The challenge of course is to program these elements without overwhelming the students (and the teacher) - and all the while helping build an atmosphere of trust, community and motivation to learn. I'll follow up in a few weeks with some feedback on what worked and what didn't.

A big thank you to the many maths teachers on the NSW Department of Education Yammer network who offered ideas and helped me work this out. Check out Maths Links if you're looking for topic related videos recommended by maths teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment